How many times have those words filled our hearts with dread? First, when the teacher or principal said them. Next when the boss said them. Why? Because the dreaded "employee evaluation file" is usually filled with the things we did wrong.
Why not fill your employees' files with the things they are doing right? You already know (hopefully) to verbally thank them when you catch them doing a great job! Don't stop there. Give them an employee write up!
Need a reason for an employee evaluation? Here are a few:
1. He went out of his way to help a customer
2. She always comes to work with a smile on her face and a positive attitude
3. He helped out another co-worker
4. She came up with a brilliant idea for outstanding customer service
5. He stayed late to work on a special project
6. She covered a shift when you really needed someone
7. Customers are always complimenting him
8. She gives consistently good service to customers, even the difficult ones.
9. The list could go on and on and on...
Why write it up and put the good stuff in their employee evaluation file? Because, when it comes time to give your employee evaluation, you'll have a lot of SPECIFIC written reminders about the wonderful actions your employees take, as well as the areas where they need to improve.
The more specific you are about why they are doing a good job, the more meaningful the employee evaluation.