If you have volunteers working for your organization, you understand the important role they play in your mission and your success. However, retention of volunteers is one of the most common challenges for nonprofit organizations. To keep your valued volunteers actively involved, recognition and appreciation are key!
We’ve put together a list for you of no cost and low-cost ideas on how to appreciate your volunteers, not just during National Volunteer Week, but all year long!
1. Send a Card to Volunteers’ Homes. Your appreciation for your volunteers’ service shouldn’t be limited to your building. Send a card with your personal message of appreciation to the homes of your volunteers. The surprise note will make the appreciation memorable.
2. Present a Certificate of Appreciation. Formalize your appreciation for volunteers by presenting them with a certificate of appreciation.
3. Highlight Volunteers in Your Organization’s Newsletter, Blog, or Facebook Page. Tell the whole world about your amazing volunteers! Add a special column to your newsletter or blog with a volunteer spotlight. Feature it on your Facebook page too.
4. Add a Note to a Candy Bar or Snack. Treat a volunteer to her favorite snack or piece of candy. Make it personal by adding a small note of “thanks” to it.
5. Send an ePraise eCard to Say “Thank You.” Send notes of appreciation to your volunteers year round with Baudville’s free eCard service, ePraise. They even have exclusive volunteer appreciation ecards.
6. Publically Recognize Your Volunteers at a Meeting. Tell your entire team about an awesome volunteer by sharing his story verbally at your next meeting. Or even better, host a breakfast in their honor!
7. Dedicate a Parking Spot or Name a Meeting Room in Their Honor. Make an outstanding volunteer a permanent part of your organization by dedicating a parking spot in their honor or naming a meeting room after them. Place a plaque or nameplate near the area.
8. Ask a Volunteer for Input. Let volunteers know you value their insight by asking them to participate on a project or sit in on an important meeting. Be sure to ask them to share their opinions!
Check out our Pinterest board for more Volunteer Appreciation Ideas!
Interested in chatting with your rep? Find your account manager here – and they’ll touch base with you to find a good time to discuss your vision!
We’ve had the privilege of working with some amazing organizations to develop a branded, special experience for their team. We appreciate their trust in finding the perfect fit, and we’re so excited to highlight how they turned out!
Whether you’re just dipping your toe into the custom experience, or you’re an old hand at it, we know that together we can pair up to make an amazing impact for you and your organization!