Positive company cultures are all the craze these days… but what do you do when you run smack into a cultural obstacle? We’ve come up with three of the most common company culture conundrums and how to deal with them. Read on to bust through your road blocks and enjoy a bright, forward-looking environment!
An Influx of Millennials
- With Millennials knocking down the front door and Baby Boomers retiring every day, “the landscape of the American workforce is in a great period of flux. By 2020, Millennials are expected to account for almost half of the global workforce.” ADP’s article spells out the different expectations that this new workforce has. What we want to know is – what do we do about it? How do we make our workforce happy as a whole?
- Invest in Corporate Learning – Here’s why:
- Millennials are not interested in staying stagnant. They want opportunity for advancement and expanding their expertise.
- With a large group of young & hungry peers flooding into the workplace, established employees will feel comfort in their ability to broaden their wisdom and stay up-to-date and competitive.
- Put Purpose to Work – Here’s why:
- The younger generation is famous in the media for their lack of work ethic but simple laziness isn’t to blame! They’re attracted to a purpose behind their work and a balance between pursuing corporate success and making the world a better place.
- Engage everyone by adopting policies that will get employees excited about the work they do. Whether it’s a percentage of profits that are given to community programs or a charity that becomes a sort of company mascot, it’s time to give back!
Candidates in the Driver’s Seat
- The rebound in the economy is a boon for employee and employer alike. But now that desperation is rare and opportunities are plentiful, your star candidate has taken the wheel and is making demands that were unheard of five years ago.
- Here’s the deal – employees want flexibility. You might not be ready to jump on the flex-time, telecommuting bandwagon but the time is coming where you’ll have to take that leap to remain competitive. “The rise of the Internet and online communication has only added to the desire of many employees to seek more flexible and less traditional work conditions.” Get a line of candidates down the block by adopting these flexible options now and you’ll build your business on the backs of happy, high-performing employees.
- Still need convincing? Read more:
- “Workers are hopping from job to job at a surprising rate. Gone are the days when a high school or college graduate would accept a job, work his or her way up the corporate ladder and retire from the same company.” Organizations are focusing on engagement to increase retention and drive performance. “Engaged employees drive the innovation, growth and revenue that growing midsized companies need to thrive.”
- How do you engage the heck out of your employees? Read our latest articles for the best tips and tricks in town!
Congratulations! You're well on your way to being a part of the culture club! (Except a way cooler, more modern version)
Download our free eBook below for team building ideas to motivate, engage, and encourage!
Audrey is brand spankin’ new to the ‘ville (that’s what they call Baudville around these parts). As the new Marketing Coordinator, she'll be talking printer-ese, corralling creatives for our catalogs, and writing headlines and blog posts about Baudville’s #1 passion, employee recognition!