Many of us sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, taking an hour break to go sit in a cafeteria or restaurant. Not only does this give you a flat booty, but it’s actually causing long-term harm to your body. If you sit for more than six hours a day your risk for heart disease increases by up to 64%! But no worries, there are easy ways to combat this.
- Stand up. Standing for one to two minutes every hour can reduce the negative effect of sitting all day. This sounds easy, but when you are in the middle of projects and deadlines it can be hard to remember. Set an hourly alarm as a friendly reminder.
- Sit on a ball. Upgrade your office chair for a yoga ball. This can help engage your core, relieve back pain, and increase your circulation.
- Try these easy, quick, (non-embarrassing!) stretches at your desk to keep the blood flowing.
- Burn Calories. Try seated jumping jacks, the muffin top blaster, leg toners, desk push-ups and the seated torso crunch to help burn calories all while being at your desk.
- Invest in some desk equipment. Get yourself a treadmill desk or a under desk peddler.