Summer is right around the corner and with it comes the temptation to switch off and tune out of work. As the days get longer and the weather gets warmer, it can be difficult to stay focused on work tasks and maintain engagement. In fact, according to a study by Captive Network, workplace productivity drops 20% in the summer months.
As a manager, it’s essential to be proactive and flexible in finding ways to keep team members focused. It can be a challenging task, but there are strategies that can help.
6 ways to improve engagement at work during the summer months:
- Set clear goals and priorities: Establishing clear goals and priorities can help employees focus on what they need to accomplish during the summer months. This will help them stay motivated and engaged in their work.
- Offer flexible schedules: Flexible work schedules can help employees balance their personal and professional lives during the summer months. This can include offering summer hours, allowing employees to work from home, or providing the option to take time off.
- Encourage outdoor activities: Taking a break to go outside and get some fresh air can be revitalizing and energizing. Encourage employees to take walks or participate in outdoor activities during breaks or lunchtime. To promote outside time further, plan optional, company-wide outing:
- Host a summer picnic or cookout
- Set up a basketball hoop in the parking lot and provide basketballs or other outside sports equipment
- Create a walking club/group that meets up for a walk every day at the same time
- Plan team-building activities: Summer is a great time to plan team-building activities that bring employees together and foster a sense of community. This can include activities like volunteering or outings to a local attraction.
- Provide opportunities for learning and development: Summer is also a great time for employees to focus on professional development. Consider offering workshops or training sessions that can help employees grow and develop new skills.
- Celebrate successes: Take time to recognize and celebrate successes throughout the summer. This can include acknowledging individual achievements or team milestones. Celebrating successes can help employees feel valued and motivated to continue their hard work. A great way to celebrate success is by giving gifts of gratitude.
In conclusion, improving engagement at work during the summer months requires creativity and flexibility. By setting clear goals, offering flexible schedules, encouraging outdoor activities, planning team-building activities, providing opportunities for learning and development, and celebrating successes, employers can help their employees stay engaged and motivated throughout the summer.
Interested in chatting with your rep? Find your account manager here - and they'll touch base with you to find a good time to discuss your vision!
We've had the privilege of working with some amazing organizations to develop a branded, special experience for their team. We appreciate their trust in finding the perfect fit, and we're so excited to highlight how they turned out!
Whether you're just dipping your toe into the custom experience, or you're an old hand at it, we know that together we can pair up to make an amazing impact for you and your organization!
Want more content like this? Subscribe to our emails!