I’m brand spankin’ new to the ‘ville (that’s what they call Baudville around these parts). As the new Marketing Coordinator, I’ll be talking printer-ese, corralling creatives for our catalogs, and writing headlines and blog posts about Baudville’s #1 passion, employee recognition!
This is my first week and they already have so much confidence in me, they’re letting me publish something! Eek! But really, who’s better to talk about onboarding than a new employee? In this post, you’ll find out how Baudville made my welcome super warm (like hot cocoa after sledding warm).
When I sat down at my new desk on Monday morning, I had my very own welcome pack, aka, presents!
- A welcome certificate, with handwritten messages from my coworkers. Their sweet notes really made me feel like I was already one of the crew.
- A pen so I can jot down every nugget of wisdom from my training.
- An autograph travel mug, for my calm-the-first-day-jitters mint tea.
- Welcome candies: to fix my sweet tooth!
- And, since my team is the coolest, they even threw in a modern lunch cooler that says “My Boss thinks I’m kind of a big deal.”
I also got a customized schedule with key contacts, on the job training, and job shadowing of other departments. I’ll be listening in on customer service calls and picking orders in the warehouse and seeing what people really do at Baudville.
For lunch, my team headed to a local sandwich shop and chatted about Baudville’s awesome Christmas party and upcoming celebrations I should look forward to. Hello Employee Appreciation Day! Everyone introduced themselves and their roles and promised they’d shout out something I didn’t know about them every day this week. The standouts so far are the compulsive ear cleaner and the guy who hates tic tacs.
It sounds like a bunch of fun and games but it was clear that Baudville really tried to make me feel welcomed and appreciated. Of all my new experiences this week, below are 6 ways that Baudville made me feel like a rock star already:
- Recognition: personalized gifts
- Attention: a lunch out with the team
- Structure: a clearly defined schedule
- Introduction to the company and its works: multi-departmental job shadowing
- Sense of community: organized tactics for getting to know team members
- Training: learning about the role and on the job training
If you’re worried about employee onboarding, you’ve already won by getting the talent in the door. Retaining superstars is all about the Benjamins a little strategic onboarding. This week, I found out that a warm welcome goes a long way!
Audrey is brand spankin’ new to the ‘ville (that’s what they call Baudville around these parts). As the new Marketing Coordinator, she'll be talking printer-ese, corralling creatives for our catalogs, and writing headlines and blog posts about Baudville’s #1 passion, employee recognition!